);

Are Front-Clip Dog Harnesses Ideal? – I Changed My Mind (Ep 11)

Share it with your friends Like

Thanks! Share it with your friends!

When front clip harnesses are used, I recommend two points of contact whenever possible, and to try to fade out the use of the front clip and use only the back one over time. In BAT set-ups we usually use just the back clip.

Note: In this video Bean is wearing the Balance harness.

“I’ve Changed My Mind” is a series of short videos on a variety of topics that I’ve changed my mind about over the years [not just today!]. Most are dog training related, but I also talk about some more personal topics.

You may totally agree with some of the videos and others may go against your most firmly held beliefs. I’m making videos about them specifically because these are topics to wrestle with, to ponder, and we won’t all agree right now. I just hope we will be kind to one another as we disagree.

The non-dog things are personal and others are hot-button topics; I hope you’ll forgive me for being a human. Please subscribe here on YouTube to get the latest videos.

Facebook: https://facebook.com/grisha.stewart
Web: http://grishastewart.com
Instagram & Twitter: grishastewart

Thanks for watching! Please subscribe here.

For more information about my work, please visit http://grishastewart.com

Comments

Philippa Murphy says:

Having tried the Hurtta front harness I can happily say its quite flawed in design even with two points of attachment I find the leads tangle up. Maybe I need to try more harnesses to form a better opinion. It would be cool to have D rings to the side of the harness rather then the front of it. If the dog is a puller and has no leash manners and the owner has few leash skills front harrneses can be very uncomfortable especially when used with corrections.

Michelle Duguay says:

something to think about, I had been clipping to to points of attachment because if I just clip to the front the harness twists and that bugs me. But then my veterinary behaviourist told me she wants me to clip just to the front because (and im trying to remember her words and maybe not explaining it properly) she wants clear information coming from one spot rather than information coming from two spots because when Uno is stressed I need to be clear and simple as possible in communicating with him

Bob Swiss says:

Alaska looks great in green instead of white ehh

macksmum1 says:

Thanks for raising this discussion. I have always preferred a 2 point harness but sadly they are not the complete answer people are looking for.
I am always horrified when I see peope  holding tight to their dogs lead (in some cases the actual harness) with the harness wrapped around the front of the dog pulling its opposite leg forward or digging into the dogs armpit. Sadly people look to the harness as they do with a collar, halti, chain etc as the ANSWER to the dog pulling, rather than training tools to help you while you TEACH them not to pull etc. I have not found a perfect harness but if I may suggest "Freedom No Pull Harness" and no it does not stop the dog pulling – only training will do that – it has a martingale affect on the back clip and a standard  D on the front. The martingale part helps hold the harness in place around the girth while the front redirects the dog.  http://www.2HoundsWholesale.com

Mike Prasse says:

I don't see the reason for not just using the front clip on the newer harnesses that do not go under the dog's armpit? Reasons for using only the front clip on BAT training: (1) More control if the dog lunges or pulls. It does no good if a pulling or lunging 100-lb dog pulls the person over, and this is much more likely to happen if the leash is hooked on the top than on the front (if it wasn't, wouldn't dog sled racers hook the traces on the front and not on the back?) ; (2) Having two long leashes hooked on the top and the front is like trying to fly one of those 2-string kites – it takes a LONG time to learn how to not get the two strings (leashes) tangled. Obviously one would like the dog to not get into the orange-red zones where they pull or lunge, but it is going to happen on occasion, especially when you are teaching BAT to a novice. Even one of Grisha's videos show her getting spun around when the student dog wanted to greet someone. As for putting the dog "off-balance": This only happens when the dog is pulling or lunging, and better the dog then be off-balance than the person holding the leash! Perhaps the Freedom No Pull Harness, with the martingale strap hooked to the top D-ring would work by itself without also hooking to the front D-ring, due to the constriction that happens when the dog pulls.

AquaticTuber says:

It takes the pressure and discomfort of a collar off of your dog’s sensitive neck, and will eliminate coughing and choking.

Nikki says:

Can you please give advice for people who have dogs that can actually drag them across the road when another dog crosses their path?
My pit bull could kill a dog if she pulled hard enough. I need a harness to prevent her from pulling and chocking herself.

Write a comment